Aug 11, 2010


An Answer For “No.”

“Milkmaid – lie with me.” 
                                    “Ploughman - dream on!”

“ Bailiff, I saw rude things this morn,
the milkmaid suckling a cow’s teat.
Sure as I’m born, white milk trickled.
“Milk that stank of  . . ?” 
                                    “Witchcraft?”
“Witchcraft. Thank you, Ploughman.”

“My sweet bewitcher - lie with me.”
“Not you as well!”
                              “My rosebud, peach. . .”
“Hands off now!” 
                               “Suckler . . . I fear
your vileness was observed! Promise
to lie with me or magistrates shall hear
how you sent the ploughman for his frisson
to the horse’s wobbling rump as they turned the sod,
how, calling curses on our living God
you’d strip your girdle off, and give yourself
to joy with goats and donkeys!”
“Sir . . . you do jest! Begone! Such twaddle!
I’m to my milking.”
                                 “Maid, this is not ended!”        

“Well, Master Bailiff . . have you told the town
how Satan’s handmaid rips the hearts from frogs
and compacts these with feathers, which,
fed to young boys would make them daemons?”
“Nods and winks, Lord Justice, nods and winks!
The town smells woodsmoke.”
“Then have the turnkey fetch her. Ensure dry logs.”

“Madam, charges are laid that rest with me.
These can be set aside, and made as nought.
I have that power. Do you but lie with me.
I’d dress you in fine silks and tulleYou’d live
in Great Hall, take tea with ladies, yours . . .”
“My Lord, what’s that they cry outside?  It sounds
like ‘burn’”
                  “Aye!  Burn the witch. But why,
when to be my wife would save you?”
                                             “Sir, my honour
is with God to give away. Who’ll speak for me?”
“Blameless you’ve no need of defence. Guilty?
No defence could earn your life. Your hope’s in silence.”

“Burn the Witch! Burn the Witch! Burn the Milkmaid Witch!”

“Shut the doors against that yelling. Jurors –
this harlot maid has whored herself with Satan.
One day a black cat’s her Familiar,
next day a raven. Her ilk search hedgerows
for hemlock, monkshood, belladonna. These
they makes ointments of . . whose spelling
lets them ride the air you breathe!”
                                     “Burn! Turn her on the spit!”
“The turnkey swears how in prison
she charmed the sparrows to take crumbs
from her lap, lips, fingers, while from the tip
of all three breasts – poured Satan’s milk!”

“In Christ’s name - burn the Witch!”

“Turnkey, what help? I do so fear the stake.”
“I’ve  nightshade leaves, which, swallowed,
turn torment to dreams and fading breath
before the fetters. You’d see no glowing torch,
nor watch your flesh ravel up like knitting.
Pay me in pleasure, against your dungeon wall.
You shake your head. Hag! Is your maiden hole
worth more than easy death? God damn your soul.”

“Burn the Witch! Save us from Satan’s yoke! Burn her!”
“See her writhe and shriek as they drag her out.
 It’s said if she screams when on the pyre, her soul
 goes with the flames into the fiery Pit.
 Silent, she’ll rise with the rising smoke
 to meet our Maker.  Few that well have died . .”

“Ploughman – the tavern! God alone is satisfied.”



(This poem written with the plight of Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani
in Iran in mind)

19 comments:

  1. I don't know what to say to this, FTSE, being a bit stunned by what you have wrought with your assignment of words.

    Really what I mean to say is that despite your jokes and cavorting elsewhere, you are to be taken very, very seriously. This is ,,,(searching for adjectives)... masterful .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I do try to write poems which are "about" something. Just hope nobody from down under wants an "explanation". Would need about 8 A4 pages and 4 more of bibliography.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, burn her... I'm thirsty too...
    Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only agree with Deborah! Faced with a wordle, I feel the need to use the words in the shortest way possible but I'm sure I lack the imagination to create a tale of this sort through which the words can be woven. As for deconstruction, I can say only that things haven't changed much where human nature is concerned except we no longer burn folks at the stake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this would make a stunning play on Radio 4, but would draw the line at having it turned into a TV broadcast! LOL. Brilliant bit of characterisation from an unlikely set of words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Derrick . . . thank you. Actually, England burned very few witches. Hanging was the favoured method. Burning was much more employed for heretics. James 1 of Scotland had witches burned in North Berwick, believing they has brought about his shipwreck. Burning very common throughout Europe from the time of the Cathar Heresy to the early/mid eighteenth century. Some researchers estimate that up to 9 MILLION!! witches - men and women, but with a huge majority of women - were burned at the stake in those 5 centuries. (Large spoonful of salt needed there, I feel)

    Jinksy . . thank you. Well, nice to think it would turn into a Radio play . . but I think Arthur Miller's "The Crucible" has beaten me to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Extraordinary piece. My classes do some reading about Salem witchcraft as 8th graders. This piece rings true. You've captured the spirit of a self-centered lecherous bastard quite well. He is the one who should be truly on trial.

    I love where you went with this. Thanks Doc. This is damn good writing.
    ~Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brenda . . thank you for the compliment on the writing. Must admit that I lifted (most of) the very last line from Tony Harrison's "The Nuptial Torches" (Philip of Spain using the burning bodies of Dutch heretics to light the way to the bridal chamber.) I can't find that poem on www except on CD. (Google Tony Harrison and follow the obvious links). It's not for the squeamish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nicely developed, Doc. I notice you tie it to a current case in Iran. Nice to know such behavior isn't Euro-specific.

    ReplyDelete
  10. b.. It struck me as I worked on the poem that the Iranian woman is as much a victim of misogyny, false witness, abuse of power (etc) as my poor little milkmaid. Thank you for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant writing, FTSE, I was gripped in a vice all the way through. Virtue obviously brings no reward in that world! What is most clever is the consistent style and vocabulary throughout. I have Tony Harrison's Collected Poems, which has The Nuptial Torches. If you like I could type it and email it to you. As you say, not for the faint-hearted.
    ViV

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lust and fear combine to destroy are Goodwoman.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We need reminding this is still happening. And it isn't only for God and Allah, cruel bastards, still served by their psychotic apologists, but also for contemporary sex slavers. Great writing that shocks and shames.

    ReplyDelete
  14. http://itistimetothinkformyself.blogspot.com/2010/08/55-flash-friday-55-is-written-by.html
    an award for you,
    Happy Weekend,
    Cheers!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Stafford. You encourage me to stick to my old-fashioned view of poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So refreshing to come across a blog so different.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you, Derek . . . but different how? and from what? Just a different approach to poetry, which I'm sure many bloggers regard as stilted and overly metrical. But I'm afraid I have little time for so-called "free" or "syllabic" verse, which often resembles poetry only in that the lines don't go all the way across the page. Our present Poet Laureate is very good at it. So was her predecessor. Self-regarding psychobabblers, both of them! (Should have been Wendy Cope)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Came back for a second read, realised that first time around I'd overlooked the note at the bottom giving the occasion for the writing of the poem. Now think even more highly of it than previously.

    It was the blog itself I was referring to in my first comment. It has a distinctive character, which comes from the verse, obviously, but is not necessarily of the verse.

    So much free verse I think is just prose chopped up.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dave . . my contention precisely. Here's one I've worked on folk once or twice. Find a longish example of this so-called free verse. Not difficult. Blogland is littered with it. Copy and paste it into a word.doc or similar. Take out the line breaks so it looks like a piece of prose. If you like, make each "stanza" of the original "poem" appear as a paragraph. Show it around. If one person in 1,000 says "Hey, that's really a poem, innit?" - you will indeed be surprised.

    But on t'other hand . . . poetry is an art form. "And art," as someone whose name I forget said "is whatever you can get away with."


    PS Apologies! In previous post I called you Derek. So sorry!

    ReplyDelete

WV's turned off. Glad to see this is catching on. I don't want my readers to work for nothing for folk whose OCR software doesn't work properly.